January 10, 2009
I am so lucky to have this lady in my life. She is my Gramma. If anyone asks me who my hero is…it is Gramma. What do I love about her? EVERYTHING. Here is what makes her so special:
- She is SOOO Smart. She does the New York Times Crossword Puzzle EVERYDAY. She is a competitive game player. Gramma plays Bridge, Dominos, Upwords, Scrabble and any card game you throw her way. She can seriously whoop up on most of us.
- She is an excellent cook. When I spend time with her in the kitchen, I learn so much about the basics of cooking.
- She is Active. At 82 years, Gramma still golfs and hikes. She does water aerobics twice a week and continues to travel.
- She is a great story teller and I love listening to her talk with her thick New England Accent.
- She is one of the most “artsy craftsy” people I will ever know. She knits, sews, quilts, crochets, embroiders, etc. etc.etc. She is so generous with her talents, always making amazing gifts for the girls and me.
Sweaters she made for the girls this year.
In November, Gramma’s quilting work was honored at the community where she lives. Most recently she has taken to paper pieced quilts, making quilts like this:
Here is a little glimpse of what she had to say about her work….
Isn’t she darling? Here is a little piece I put together to honor her work.
Down home friends and what they say...
Uncle Bob said:
Shawn, that’s just a wonderful piece about Mom. Congratulations on capturing this for the rest of the family who wasn’t able to attend as well as for posterity.
You should be so proud of yourself as am I proud of you.
Bruce Webber said:
Aunt Lois’ quilting is beautiful. I had seen some of her work years ago but these are new to me. I also want to compliment you on your website, which is one of the best I have seen.
Carol Sweet said:
Shawn, My mom and Bob told me about your blog. Yesterday I saw the videos of Lois’ (Gramma) quilts and they were so beautiful. (I’ve known for years how talented she was and have seen some of her work). Well, today I was walking down the hallway in their home and hanging on the wall is a quilt Bob had her do for them- Beautiful Beautiful. Carol P.S. Your summer creative plans for your kids have inspired me!!!
Post A Comment
Don’t miss a post! Subscribe to our feed here at Life at Buttercup Farm!
My Etsy Shop
My Other Blog
You can e-mail me anytime at shawn@lifeatbuttercup